Art Escape: A Newfoundland Destination
3 days of creativity: Explore, Nourish, Grow
The Keeper’s Kitchen B&B, St. Shotts, Newfoundland 🇨🇦
W/ Melanie Dawn Smith
JUNE 2-4th, 2023
Join Melanie on the breath-taking Southern Shore in the community of St. Shotts for 3 days of creative development, beautiful food and mindful practice.
The retreat includes all professional art materials needed for 3 days of creative exercises & alla prima painting in oil.
The thought behind this creative retreat is simple: It’s a place where you can spend time in the open air of beautiful St. Shotts and be inspired to practice mindfulness through art creation!
Creative mindfulness is the next big thing!
When undertaking creative tasks, you are absorbed in the now, focused and centered. You may ask, why do creatives need a retreat?
Well, they need a safe space to express themselves differently, to grow and to be in their creative process with the support and guidance of other creative spirits.
So let your creative spirit soar this Spring and join us on June 2-4th 2023 at The Keeper’s Kitchen in St- Shotts, Newfoundland for a weekend experience centered around expression, mindfulness and development.
‘Nothing is original, so embrace influence.” – Austin Kleon
School yourself through the work of others; Remix and reimagine; Discover your own path. Follow your interests wherever they take you!
You never know, what might feel like a hobby right now, could turn into your life’s work.
THE KEEPER’S KITCHEN B&B
EXPLORE. NOURISH. GROW. CREATE
The Keeper’s Kitchen is an all-inclusive boutique style Bed & Breakfast newly rebuilt by local residents, Michelle Myrick and her Norweign husband, Reidar.
With a rich history, and after 17 years of vacancy, this beautiful home has re-opened its doors to welcome those who seek a warm and beautiful place to stay.
The Keeper’s Kitchen B&B is more than a home away from home. It is a haven that reconnects you with your spirit through exceptional food, music, art and adventure.
AND, it’s the perfect backdrop for a weekend packed with creative development and mindful energies.
FOOD TO NOURISH AND INSPIRE CREATIVITY
The food that we eat each day has a powerful effect on our health.
Eating high quality fresh foods will not only nourish your body, it will charge your mind and fuel your creativity.
Food gives us time to share ideas and make connections!
Presenting carefully curated culinary experiences featuring as much locally sourced, fresh and seasonal ingredients as possible, your hosts and chefs, Michelle and Reidar, will take us on a food adventure.
Their food will take you on an adventure. Each dish has a story and our hosts will generously love sharing those with you.
ACCOMMODATIONS & FEES
For this retreat, the accommodations are shared in spacious rooms. There are no single rooms offered for this retreat.
885 cad per person
WHAT TO EXPECT
Weekend Package includes:
- Accommodations for 2 nights and 3 days
- Daily Creative affirmations and guided meditation
- Daily creative practice (full day workshop, educational materials, creative exercises)
- All slides, worksheets and information mailed out to registered participants
- Fresh healthy meals from Friday evening to Sunday morning
- All art materials needed for all activities for 3 days are included
- All taxes/ HST Included
All your needs will be met – This is a 3 day fully inclusive retreat.
- Breakfast included each day
- Lunch included on Saturday
- Snacks throughout the day included
- Evening Meal on Friday: Gourmet style (4 plates)
- Evening Meal on Saturday: Gourmet style (5 plates)
- NOTE: There is a Wine Pairing option available with evening meals for an extra fee of $40 per person.
NOTE: Food allergies will be accommodated by The Keeper’s Kitchen B&B.
Not included: Alcohol/Late night Snacks/Transportation/Gratuity
Painting clothes (bring old clothes to create in or an art apron)
BOOK YOUR SPOT NOW
Our retreat group will have the exclusive use of the property and will be the sole guests at The Keeper’s Kitchen.
Artists develop creativity through and from experiences. The more experiences you have as an artist, and as a human, the more ideas will flow towards your artwork.
In order to generate new ideas, you also need to spend time investigating the creative process.
Our retreat weekend will include 3 important components for creative development:
- Colour & Composition
- Introduction session to the concepts of creative development and the exploration of expressive painting.
- Inspiration & Approach
- – An introduction to the alla prima technique with full demonstration and guidance in a range of experimental approaches to art.
- Technical Development
- Exploring the use of photographs for art production and producing a painting in one seating.
You will explore all three components through creative exercises. You will learn new techniques of painting with oil and complete an oil painting in the style of alla prima.
All art materials are included for each activity.
3:00 pm- Welcome drinks and Check-in
5:30-7:00 – DINNER
7:30- 9:30 – Creative Exercises and Theory
7:30 am – BREAKFAST
8:30 am – Creative Affirmations & Mediation/ Creative Warm Up
9:00 am – 12:00 pm – Alla Prima Workshop in Oil
12:30 pm – 2:00 pm – LUNCH
2:00- 3:30 – FREE TIME
3:30- 6:30 – Alla Prima Workshop in Oil
7:30 pm -9:30 – DINNER
7:00 am – BREAKFAST
8:30 am – Creative Affirmations & Mediation/ Creative Warm Up
9:00 am 11:00 am – Creative workshop in abstract expression
(Check out at 11:00 am)
TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
You should plan to arrive at The Keeper’s Kitchen for 3pm on Friday.
Transportation to and from St. Shotts is the responsibility of each participant.
It is approximately 2 hours drive from St. John’s via Route 10 (Southern Shore Highway) or Route 90 (TCH + Salmonier Line + St. Mary’s Bay)
Our cancellation policy is as follows:
If you cancel your booking 30 days before the retreat start date your deposit (less $75 CAD) and other payments may be transferred to another retreat (within two years of the current retreat), space permitting. If you cancel your booking less than 30 days before the retreat start date all monies paid will be forfeited.
Trip cancellation/trip interruption insurance is strongly recommended.
In the event that the trip is postponed for any reason, including any force majeure event, all monies paid will be converted into travel credit that can be applied to a future Art Escape Retreat or Workshop; this credit is transferable and expires two years from the original retreat date. Art Escape Studios is a small business that proudly works with family-run venues and we are unable to offer refunds of any kind. If you require more security, please talk to an insurance broker about a comprehensive travel plan that will offer you the coverage you need. Thank you for understanding.
- A $200 CAD non-refundable deposit (PER PERSON) is required to confirm your spot.
- 50% of the balance is due on April 24th 2023
- The remaining balance is due on May 22nd 2023
BOOK YOUR SPOT:
- For canadian residents only: You’re welcome to pay your deposits (200 cad) via email transfer for firstname.lastname@example.org and complete this form: https://forms.gle/Lx8jXeDW262kbPDP9
- Non-canadian residents: pay the deposit (200 cad) via PayPal to www.paypal.com/paypalme/melaniesmith1919 and complete this form: https://forms.gle/Lx8jXeDW262kbPDP9
Frequently Asked Questions
- I have dietary restrictions- can they be accommodated?
- Yes certainly; once you have reserved your spot please pass on any allergies, restrictions, or requests.
- Do I need experience to join this retreat?
- No. All activities are designed for beginners. However, this retreat is also for experienced artists and creatives.
- Do I need any art supplies to attend this retreat?
- No. Everything will be provided for you. You will need an apron or painting clothes.
- Can I bring my children?
- This is an adult only retreat
- Can I reach out if I have more questions?
- You can email us at email@example.com